My Academic Life

Here's a little bit of something about the path I've taken throughout my academic life. It's a little bit personal - but stories, great or not, are better off told than kept. I know it's not Oprah-worthy but who knows, someone might benefit from it, and thus, we can learn from the bad stuffs, and the goods in life can be spread. It's pretty much the very purpose of this blog. If you like it, that's great and I hope this blog can bring some useful insights in your life. Otherwise, skip through - it's that simple.

Well anyway, I first enrolled an architecture student in 2005. Everyone did. I mean, here in School of Architecture, Victoria University of Wellington, all first year students have to register into first year architecture before going into separate courses: i.e. building science, interior architecture, landscape architecture, etc. Nevertheless, my intial intention was architecture anyway.

I got into building science in the second year - my second choice. I wasn't really good in my first year. I didn't do that well in my second and third year either. I've to repeat a third year paper which I did in the second trimester of the following fourth year.

Sigh, difficult times. I only have myself to blame. Mixed up priorities and just simply lazy.

I pretty much overhauled my fourth year here. Well, not that I did that great anyway in the two papers that I took in my fourth year, but enough to get myself into the postgraduate honours programme in the following year. I'm guessing my effort in developing relationships with the lecturers helped a bit in my application into the programme. I'm pretty sure I couldn't simply rely on my below average scores to get into that programme.

Nevertheless, my honours year is nothing like my undergraduate years. I was better motivated, better discipline, better hardwork and by the end of the year, I assure you, hardwork pays off - with a pinch of luck. I got lucky with one of the papers and earned myself a better average scores for my honours year - hence, Bachelor of Building Science with First Class Honours.

I'm guessing luck played a greater role than I imagined. I can never find a better group than my classmates during the honours year, a supervisor who was passionate into helping me to reach my goals, a programme coordinator which by far the best academician I have ever met, 'clients' which were extremely helpful for all my selected projects, etc.

The lesson here?

Hardwork pays. Of course, on top of that, we all need a bit of luck and efforts outside the classrooms as well as continuous gratitude to everyone around you and the Almighty God.

And owh, always be happy about everything you do, somehow.

This may not be the best recipe for success in academic life. Nor that achieving good grades is supposed to be the ultimate goal. I am happy because I met many extraordinary people in my honours year and the depth of intellect I have gone through these variety of people. People make things great, and that you can't find solely in your textbooks.

Nevertheless, I am also happy because I have set my mind on these things, and thank God I was rewarded.

Alhamdulillah.


Victoria University of Wellington Graduation Parade.

The Beehive.


Graduates gathering in Civic Square, Wellington.


Speech by the Deputy Mayor of Wellington.

My graduation moustache.

My parents.
















If you're still in school, have fun and study hard. If you've just graduated, congratulations. If you're already in the workforce, be prepared because I gonna take yours.

2 comments:

illhamshiraz said...

Congratulations

illhamshiraz said...

(>____<)