Earth Hour.
Well, many of you guys know about this anyway. So I can spare the 400 words of introduction of what it is and just get straight to the point. I, resident at 2/243 The Terrace in Wellington, is one of many of the ignorant people in this city that ignored the campaign. Oh well, I have no reason to why I did not participate in this. Maybe I just simply forgot, or possibly it's not something that is signicant enough for me to pay that much attention to it.
I'm trying to maintain this blog by posting entries at least once a week. This week, I am not that well prepared nor even have any exciting stuffs to write about (assuming anything posted here before actually is). So, I decided to write something about what I do for my research. A bit of academic writing but I'll try to make it relevant for you.
Electricity in New Zealand is generated 54.9% by hydro power, 26.4% from geothermal, 6.9% from coal, 2.2% from wind and 1.8% from others. Therefore, it is safe (I think) to assume that this country consumes at least 80% of its electricity from renewable resources, hence very low carbon emissions.
Malaysia, instead, gets its electricity 67% from natural gas, 17% from hydro power and 16% from others, i.e. coal, MFO, diesel, etc.
I'm not sure what is relevant here but I'm guessing (from my amateur opinion) that the savings from turning the lights off in Malaysia for one hour is equivalent to the same activity in New Zealand, but for only 10-20 minutes, or possibly a lot less. I'm assuming this from the estimate calculation of carbon emissions from electricity generated by both countries. It may also not be very accurate, but I do think the logic is there.
However, raising this comparison is not relevant as the core objective of the campaign is to spread awareness towards sustainability. May I quote from the UN Brundtland Report in 1987 which stated that sustainable development is a development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
So, again, live green?
Or just simply, be considerate, think of others, or at least your future great grand children. You save a litre of petrol today, you'll be providing more for them to use.
Well, many of you guys know about this anyway. So I can spare the 400 words of introduction of what it is and just get straight to the point. I, resident at 2/243 The Terrace in Wellington, is one of many of the ignorant people in this city that ignored the campaign. Oh well, I have no reason to why I did not participate in this. Maybe I just simply forgot, or possibly it's not something that is signicant enough for me to pay that much attention to it.
I'm trying to maintain this blog by posting entries at least once a week. This week, I am not that well prepared nor even have any exciting stuffs to write about (assuming anything posted here before actually is). So, I decided to write something about what I do for my research. A bit of academic writing but I'll try to make it relevant for you.
Electricity in New Zealand is generated 54.9% by hydro power, 26.4% from geothermal, 6.9% from coal, 2.2% from wind and 1.8% from others. Therefore, it is safe (I think) to assume that this country consumes at least 80% of its electricity from renewable resources, hence very low carbon emissions.
Malaysia, instead, gets its electricity 67% from natural gas, 17% from hydro power and 16% from others, i.e. coal, MFO, diesel, etc.
I'm not sure what is relevant here but I'm guessing (from my amateur opinion) that the savings from turning the lights off in Malaysia for one hour is equivalent to the same activity in New Zealand, but for only 10-20 minutes, or possibly a lot less. I'm assuming this from the estimate calculation of carbon emissions from electricity generated by both countries. It may also not be very accurate, but I do think the logic is there.
However, raising this comparison is not relevant as the core objective of the campaign is to spread awareness towards sustainability. May I quote from the UN Brundtland Report in 1987 which stated that sustainable development is a development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
So, again, live green?
Or just simply, be considerate, think of others, or at least your future great grand children. You save a litre of petrol today, you'll be providing more for them to use.

1 comments:
i think earth hour's terribly overrated and underestimated at the same time.
like you said, it's pointless to just care abt one hour out of a whole year. the campaign should be a stepping stone to be more concerned abt the environment, abt how we will inevitably have an impact on the world, regardless of our intentions.
to be honest i actually enjoyed my earth hour, in the darkness, sans technology. sempat muhasabah diri and learn to appreciate what we have around us. i hope the world will still be ok in future generations. hmm.
Post a Comment