I have this humour book that I borrowed from a friend and haven't returned it after over a year, and there's one joke of the many occupational jokes I would like to share here:
"A diplomat/politician is a person who tells you to go to hell in a way that somehow you're looking forward to that trip."
Something like that. I can't remember the exact words but yeah, something like that. How's that relevant for my entry today? Because it is Malaysia's 52nd Independence Day! And sadly politics is the first thing came into my head.
Yes, sadly.
In previous years, my first few thoughts on Independence Day are usually something about how am I proud to be in a country that is free from external (assuming bad) powers (which is quite naive come to think of it) or thinking have I done enough as a citizen to contribute to a country that has spent so much on my education and welfare? Somewhere along those lines, I think.
Patriotism initiates different thoughts at different times. And today, Independence Day does not make me feel that celebrative. Don't get me wrong. Despite my immigrant's blood, I still love the country and the system that has provide a moderate living for me and my family. I'm just not in that kind of mood to celebrate any achievement either made by myself as a citizen or even the country itself this year.
It's almost the same feeling when I had my birthday this year. Nothing worthy of celebration. That's maybe how I feel about this year's Independence Day. The country and I need to grow up. And perhaps, real soon, we could do a distance worth celebrating in coming years.
Maybe that is exactly my patriotism thought of the year.
Nonetheless.
Happy 52nd Independence Day Malaysia.
"A diplomat/politician is a person who tells you to go to hell in a way that somehow you're looking forward to that trip."
Something like that. I can't remember the exact words but yeah, something like that. How's that relevant for my entry today? Because it is Malaysia's 52nd Independence Day! And sadly politics is the first thing came into my head.
Yes, sadly.
In previous years, my first few thoughts on Independence Day are usually something about how am I proud to be in a country that is free from external (assuming bad) powers (which is quite naive come to think of it) or thinking have I done enough as a citizen to contribute to a country that has spent so much on my education and welfare? Somewhere along those lines, I think.
Patriotism initiates different thoughts at different times. And today, Independence Day does not make me feel that celebrative. Don't get me wrong. Despite my immigrant's blood, I still love the country and the system that has provide a moderate living for me and my family. I'm just not in that kind of mood to celebrate any achievement either made by myself as a citizen or even the country itself this year.
It's almost the same feeling when I had my birthday this year. Nothing worthy of celebration. That's maybe how I feel about this year's Independence Day. The country and I need to grow up. And perhaps, real soon, we could do a distance worth celebrating in coming years.
Maybe that is exactly my patriotism thought of the year.
Nonetheless.
Happy 52nd Independence Day Malaysia.

0 comments:
Post a Comment