Finally, Another Entry

I just finished reading my first novel ever, The Da Vinci Code.

Yes, my first novel ever.

I don't read novels. Well, before this anyway. Apparently my unexpected long vacation has provided me just the motivation sufficient to push me till the last page of the book. I don't think I need to write my own review of the book, as the purpose of this current entry is the very idea of it - reading literature, lengthy one that is.

I started my interest in literature through comic books, and that was back in early 1990s. Hong Kong comics were to me like insulin shots to diabetes patients. I'm not very sure of the effectiveness of the analogy applied but I just wanted to tell you that those comics were very important to me. As I progressed through the beautiful works of Tony Wong's Alam Perwira and Dewata Raya, I then familiar myself with the arts and literature from other countries, Japan (Dragonball, Doraemon) and Europe (Asterix, Tintin). As fancy as I attempted for it to sound, those are just comics, which were immensly distracting and consumed a significant amount of my allowances plus some beggings to my dad.

Was it wasteful?

I often wonder whether I would have benefited more if I substituted Eiichiro Oda's One Piece with John Grisham's The Client? There's this myth that comics are a waste of time and money. Novels, however, are good for you. Or at least reading novels does portray some level of sophistication of yourself - that's what I think anyway.

I just finished The Da Vinci Code. It's just another book. I believe I response better to graphics. Information is better presented in colours and funny lines.

Isn't that a universal thing?

I thought people taught us to use more graphics in our presentations, i.e. Power Point stuffs. Use better colours and designs because people responded better to it. Don't make it dull by filling up the slide with Arial texts on a black background. Why? Because we won't find it interesting. Who would? Uninteresting people, maybe.

Just as they find novels interesting.

0 comments: