Bomoh and its Equivalent

Plan changes. I don't like that too much. I blame bad planning instead of fate. Nevertheless, there were many times fate, or qadar if you prefer, have been favourable upon my bad plannings. There were countless mistakes made in life but there're always silver linings. Fate has been kind.

So where fate has brought me today?

It's been two months since I started in a green building consultancy firm. I get to do what I've always wanted to do - which is to develop high performance building. I was employed specially for modelling. Yes, you read that right - modelling, no shit.

Specifically, building modelling. I do daylighting, energy, CFD modelling as well as develop water efficient solutions. If you don't know what modelling, in this context, exactly is, you may drop me a comment and ask me about it.

Or I can just tell you right now.

Modelling in this context is a simulation approach to building design. In other words, we predict the performance of the building before it is built. For example, daylighting modelling means we predict how indoor daylighting will look like, in terms of graphics and amount of lighting available, inside the building. This building modelling is done using computer software, i.e. Ecotect, 3Ds Max, Light Studio, Radiance (which I currently use as a plugin in Virtual Environment). It's no rocket science but I still think it's pretty cool.

So, give me a building design, preferably in proper architectural drawings. I'll run it down my simulation program whichever you want to know. Should daylighting, for example, is your curiosity, I'll be able to tell you that how much area inside your building will receive excellent daylighting, i.e. Daylight Factor above 3.5, and also identify which part that criticially requires assistance from electric lighting, which I will then provide how much electric lighting you need, i.e assuming a set of fluorescent lighting of total 48W provides approximately a well distributed 500 lux around the 100sqm.

This sounds a wee bit like engineering. In most cases, it is true. However, I'm still waiting for a project where we can address more sensitive subjects, i.e. art galleries, museum, etc. There's a significant factor that differentiate your experience in different spaces. Light levels, light CRI, carbon content, humidity, temperature, etc. Those factors can be quantified and I wish soon enough I would be able to participate in such projects that require such extensive assessment.

That's a bit of preview about what I do for a living nowadays. It was a bit exaggerated. My job is mundane most of the time. Modelling is only fun when I can actually solve things. Most of the time my numbers were not at all within logical range and no where near credible as a proper estimation. Ye la kan who would want to hire a bomoh that cannot predict whether you'll win that nombor ekor or not. Bad example but you get what I mean.

Perhaps, I'm not that exactly different than a bomoh. Added with high-technology gadgets, with a bowl filled with clear flower-scented water, I will be able to tell you that, "Hotel enchek nanti akan jadi sangat bagus, tapi mungkin sedikit panas. Saya cadangkan ambil tangkal ini, tanam kat belakang rumah enchek selama 2 bulan lengkap. Kemudian order la gelas dua lapis untuk ganti selapis gelas yang enchek guna untuk hotel enchek tu. Pastu gali balik tangkal tu dan letak kat celah2 gelas tu nanti ye. Kompem sejuk elok seronok pengunjung datang,"

Alternatively, I can do actual building modelling for a much higher fee.

0 comments: