Earth Hour Speech

Last time I wrote an entry was February 13th? And instead of looking for a date, I wrote geeky stuffs online where only the most amazing people on Earth, yes that's you, read?

Anyway, let's pick up where we left off - and the timing is perfect because I had a meeting that is particularly related to what I wish to discuss (or I just simply tell you stuffs without expecting any comebacks) here today.

"Why"

Well, people often tell you stuffs about being green, sustainable, save the planet, etc whether through the media, government campaign, random conversation with strangers, etc. Hence, you may often come to a point asking yourself the followings:

1. Is it true that the Earth is dying if we continue throwing away plastics?
2. Do we really have to recycle stuffs, switch off lights, save water, etc at home?
3. Will it work?
4. Do I care?

Anyway, I'm not sure how important the questions above in terms of achieving green - our whatever objective you have personally. For me, it's common sense, if you wish to know, Google is just one-click-and-a-series-of-typing-then-pick-one-link-and-hope-it-is-the-right-link away.

What I wish to share with you today is far more interesting, at which all the above questions are to be made obsolete and being green is irrelevant to discuss no more - and Earth is happy to have us for a much longer time.

I had a meeting with a potential client last week. Most of the time, I only get to meet managerial level staffs for briefing. Last week was kind of special - I get to meet the MD of the company. I shall keep the identity anonymous for this entry. To me, getting the opportunity to speak to the ultimate decision maker is quite a great one. However, the thing I wish to highlight here is not about the person I met with but about the spur of interesting thoughts that was inspired by his vision and intellectual provisions.

We talked about developing a new lifestyle.

No red, blue and green recycling bins. No "no plastic day". Certainly no shutting the light off or an hour in a year.

How do we create a new 'green' lifestyle that is so acceptable into your life that is not intrusive and doesn't require effort and ultimately - sustainable?

It's interesting when you attempt to this perspective because you start thinking (or probably just me alone) that what are actually doing now that are, in fact, already sustainable?

How about instead of changing our lifestyles, we change our surroundings?

For example, water efficiency. We need to shower, do the dishes, washing machine, etc. Today, you can find anywhere in the market cool things like efficient shower heads, water efficient dishwasher or washing machine. Sure, if you have money you would have bought that stuffs and probably along the way you'd save 50% of your monthly water bill, which equates for SYABAS current rate to about RM18 savings per month for an average household (Our water is that cheap?!).

So why bother?

Let's put it this way, if you don't save your water, you're putting more stress of increasing demand to the water supplier (well, you know because of increasing population and increase usage of activities done here and there). Hence, by 2014, if our water supply industry does not improve their production or efficiency, there'll be significant price hike on the water tariff rate and water policy overhaul. Hence, see Australia (unless you are not informed of this news, please google "water restrictions in Australia").

This is the very core essence of sustainability.

Anyway, getting back to the story...

Well, to be continued. This has been pretty lengthy for my personal capacity for one entry. Until next time.

Happy Earth Hour people!

0 comments: