Sports and Love

During my prime time of playing basketball, I wanted so much to be good at it. I think that was about 3-4 years ago. As the time goes by, my objective for the sport has changed into a social basketball player. My interest for the sport is now largely depends on whom I'm playing with. I'm not interested to go to the basketball court alone pracitising jump shots like before. It's kinda about who I can pass the ball to. Nonetheless, I still want to be good at it and slowly grow better playing this sport that I love since for so long.

Anyway, Bersatu Games 2007 is about a week away. Christchurch is the proud host this year and I heard it's pretty cold and possibly snowy down there. Ah right, I actually went there a few times already. Heh. Silly me. The Wellington contingent is preparing 31 athletes plus 50-60 supporters ready to crowd Christchurch with lots of orange and bring down the sports hall of University of Canterbury! All sports practice has been somewhat smooth, I think, up to this date. I'd say we're looking rather strong this year. Improved from last year at least. Volleyball team is now a lot better coordinated. Football team, as mentioned by the captain, is looking forward to trash all the other teams this year. Netball team just beat the crap out of the guys team from yesterday's friendly. Scary. Touch rugby, sepak takraw, bowling, athletic, badminton, squash and owh, basketball. Yet, one thing I've learned from last year's experience - everyone's getting better every time we met them on the playing field. It is quite exciting how the quality of the games is actually growing better every year. Sports is fun. Competition is better. Winning? I'd say it's a bonus for hardwork and strong determination.

I wish to quote a phrase by a famous sports journalist;

“For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name, he writes - not that you won or lost - but how you played the game,”
-Grantland Rice-

Sportmanship is about how a participant acts before, during and after the game. Nonetheless, without doubt there'll be that evil pressure that accidentally comes to us at times during the competition - pulling us from our rationality and conscience. The hunger to win is good, yet, it is truly terrible to see how that kind of desire can turn around a person. I somewhat can recall a saying that mentioned, "You can see the true personality of a person when he or she plays sports,". I kinda strongly agree with this. However, it just one of those things that create your impression of many other things that define your definition of a person.

Owh, I'm way off track.

Anyway, basketball in the Bersatu Games. Hm, the truth to be told is, I've never actually won a single game yet over the past 2 years of my participation. This is my third year, being realistic with a pinch of faith, I hope we could break the ice that has been freezing our legs for so long. Nonetheless, what I can really be sure of, is that we won't be that easy to beat anymore and I have another week to think of some super secret mighty offensive 'pasti jadik' plays before I can say to any of my opponents later on, "Eat shit guys!".

Good ol' basketball competition. I always like participating in this kind of stuff. I look forward in meeting some good ol' basketball buddies down there in Christchurch. Like I said, it's kinda about whom I'm playing with, and I'm sure I gonna have a lot of fun down there in the garden city of New Zealand. In the mean time, for you guys from Wellington, think orange. :)



"When orange is not just a colour,"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Football team, as mentioned by the captain, is looking forward to trash all the other teams this year. <----- mantap2!!! jumpe nanti yer.. =)

NJB said...

atong tatau pasal nih. tak ckp2 ape pon sbnrnye. saje bikin panas. so, shhh. ehehehehe.

good luck practising and see u in chch! :D