Basketball and High School

I played basketball in high school. It started off since I was in Form 1. The basketball court was located right in front of our dormitory block. Almost every evening the seniors came down and play and I just stood by my window and admire them.

I was inspired - I wanted to play like them - and perhaps, much better.

High school basketball was so much fun. We got to travel a lot (being in a boarding school it was a big deal). We played at different schools in different states. We proudly wore the red and white jersey with the school's name printed at the front with our own name at the back. Team huddle. Warm up circle. Rouse up song. Team cheers.

I love my high school basketball life.

Last week, I went back to Ipoh to visit my school. The school's former students, or old boys as I would like to call us, organized a basketball development programme for the current school players. I went and carried out the training for the kids with a couple of other old boys.

High school basketball was great for me. I love to give back what the school had provided for me through my teenage years. I'm happy to come back to my school to help the current teachers and students.

Last week wasn't my first time coming back to school to play with the current boys. I think it was my fifth time since I left school 9 years ago. I'd prefer for the frequency to be better though but I was far away in New Zealand for 5 years.

I would like to do more now.

Sekolah Tuanku Abdul Rahman, Ipoh shall host next year's Piala Perdana Menteri. Basketball is one of the main events. STAROBA, the old boys organization, has drafted some plans to ensure that STAR will be a great host for next year's big event - this includes preparing a strong basketball team.

Last week shall be the start of many visits and programmes organized by the old boys. I think this will be great for the current boys and the school too. I hope the kids will continue to develop and in time, they'll love the sport and the school the way we do - and perhaps, much better.



NJB
STAR Batch of 42
1998-2002

0 comments: