Down Memory Lane

It's been about 4 years since I last held the name as a STAR student. It was the day on the 4th of February 1998 I first put on the glorious red necktie and ever since then, I held the pride taking honour of the name Sekolah Tuanku Abdul Rahman. Five years I was in one of the most prestigious premiere schools in the country and until today, after 4 years, I still hold high my love and pride for this institution.

I visited STAR last weekend. I travelled to Ipoh with Psyc, Krie, Khizer and Frix. Yes, we are all former students of STAR wanting to spend a few days of our holidays at our beloved school. Poyo, I know. Psyc wanted to help the Wind Orchestra group and asked us to join him, and so we did happily. It was awesome having to meet a few of our former educators. It was kind of difficult to reach for all of the teachers since it was already the weekend, so we only managed to meet Mr. Azli; the band teacher, Mr. Haswani; the band instructor, Mrs. Nuraini; Add-Math teacher and Mr. Zulkarnain; the Vice Principal.

Besides band, basketball was one of my strongest passion in STAR. I played basketball with the school players on Saturday evening, taught them a few stuffs and spent a few hours with them at night telling some old school basketball stories and gave a few advices. It was breathtaking. Cutting down through the baseline of STAR basketball court after all these years. I almost broke into tears when I played with those kids. It was the highlight of my trip right there on the basketball court. I still have my AllStars basketball number 9 jersey in my closet. One of the pride of my memory.

The band room is still looking the same. My old saxaphone is still there. I picked up the case, opened it and assembled the old gold lacquer Yamaha student edition Bb tenor saxaphone. You see, playing a saxaphone is not that far different from playing a recorder, except saxaphones produce sounds from the vibration between the reed and the mouthpiece. Thus, it requires more mouth strength and apparently, I've seem to lose a lot of it. Yet, it was still fun having to jam again with my old fellow bandmates, running through the scores playing a few of our old tunes. Nice.

Kinta City was, and still our popular spot for outings. Yet, Taman Cempaka seems to be more appealing to us. Komik Beng, Hi-Info Cybercafe, Restoran Sri Cempaka, Benteng, etc. The new luxurious Imax cybercafe. Greentown Mall. Masjid Sultan Azlan Shah, Jalan Dairy. Three days was not enough. I wished I can spend more time there in Ipoh. I should have meet more of my old teachers. Mr. King, Julie, Mrs. Lee, Mr. Ng, Mrs. Mastura, Ms Zuraida and many others. They were among the most biggest influences that have made me today. Sekolah Tuanku Abdul Rahman. The teachers. The students. The playing field and courts. The dining hall. Surau Am. The school workers. The canteen. Songkok. Lot 10. Astaka. Turf. The Main Hall. Red House. Batch of 42. The cheers. The songs. The flag. Rouse up.

It was a great weekend for me. Thanks Psyc, Krie, Khizer, Frix and Tasy for such a great time. STAR is having its 50 years celebration around this year. I wanted so much to join this festival but apparently I'm not that important for the school board to sponsor my flight tickets for me from New Zealand. Nonetheless, congratulations STAR for its 50 years of excellences. My blood, pride and joy.

"And everyday we share our dreams"

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

make sure u r available for training after u graduate eh?