Malaysia Festival 2007

It was about early 2005 since I registered and become an active member for the Wellington Malaysian Students Organization. Ever since I got here, the club has been contributing so much for the welfare of the club members and the whole Malaysian community in Wellington as well. Countless. I am not counting only the activities on papers. Aesthetic values. Who it had brought together. What it had given to us inside ourselves. Opportunities to learn about ourselves, other people and many other things that we value in life. For many people, a club is just a club. People are free to join us whenever they wish to do so. Nonetheless, there's this saying; sometimes you never actually realize the importance of an element in your life until it lose it existence or vanish from your consciousness. How our lives could be without this club?

Well, some of you might never get to know that cute Malaysian friend you met during the annual picnic WHICH you're dating at the moment AND may get married in the future and have beautiful kids who'll grow and become the Malaysia's next Prime Minister, you won't get that opportunity to learn Arus or any other kind of Malaysian authentic dance WHICH you met this handsome boy-dance-mate AND you're dating him now which he may actually be your so-called-soul-mate-of-your-life, you might never get the chance to learn some talents that your friends might have WHICH you fell in love with her voice AND you're somewhat dating her as well you casanova bastard, or of foremost, you would never feel prouder to be a Malaysian as much as how I feel at the moment.

Might.

People survive from hard situations. If the club does not exist, I would probably live my own life with my Te Aro friends, play basketball with the locals more often and start developing more of a Kiwi trait in me. Not a bad outcome at all. Hahah.

MALAYSIA FESTIVAL 2007

It was about 2 weeks ago, Wellington Malaysian Students Organization hosted one of the biggest event ever held by the club in its history of its establishment in this capital city of New Zealand. Malaysia Festival 2007 was held in the Wellington City Town Hall on the 12th of August 2007. It was officiated by the Deputy Mayor of Wellington; Mr. Alick Shaw together with the High Commissioner of Malaysia to New Zealand; Dato' Supian Ahmad with the attendance of Her Worship Mayor of Wellington; Mrs Kerry Prendergast.

Traditional and modern stage performances. Games and cultural demonstrations. Historical and contemporary video screening. Authentic Malaysian delicacies and awesome air sirap bandung.

Yet, again, these are just stuffs on papers. What can we usually tell people about it. What most people actually see, or eat of course, heh. What did we get for ourselves from Malaysia Festival 2007? What managed to get inside you in contemplation, feeding your soul in content and pure satisfaction? What did we learnt about ourselves, other people and your surroundings?

I learnt that my life is surrounded by extraordinary people with exceptional talents. Good souls. Names? I have a few in my head of whom had done so much for us this entire project. Yet, I will refuse to name these wonderful people here. Why? In every cluster of a community, different people arose in different perspective to different people. I believe there are so many other individuals that are worth the same recognition as anyone who had worked so hard for this project. It just that I don't see them. Others might. Although others might not see what I see. Sigh. Well, I'm just a small character along this process. My perspective is limited. I will let other more important people to do the recognition. Probably that's why people always speak about "Everyone's been doing a good job,". Yes, because everyone did. Every puzzles is just as important as another to complete the final masterpiece. Moreover, how important is my recognition for you here? Worthless. Hahahah. I am nobody. What you get for yourselves is your trophy of life. What you gain for your soul will bring you further in the future.

Nonetheless, what prevails at the end? Wellington Malaysian Students Organization. Why? Because you're reading this. We belong to this community. We learn about each other, through the formal process or random. You want to learn about Kerel our president on how he successfully managed MFest? I can give you his YM ID. Fond of our VP? I can give you her Friendster link. Want to know where you can get the cheapest banner around? I can lead you to the contact for the Kedai Banner WMSO. Awesome nasi kerabu? Air sirap bandung? Want to learn to dance? Sing? Play in a band? Travel around New Zealand? Best place to have prawns? Part-time job? Muslim activities? Dota? Soccer? Tennis? Want to buy a scooter? Jazz place in town?

I can continue on and on for this entire page, and this is only from my network of friends I found in this community. Yours can be more. Together? We have a good community here. I thank you for reading up to this far. I thank you for being in my life, and others as well. I thank you for being in this massive puzzle which I enjoy so much. Huge congratulations to the organizing committee for Malaysia Festival 2007. Huge congratulations to the members of Wellington Malaysian Students Organization this year. We have reached so far, and years ahead, there are so many other things that we can look forward to.

4 comments:

F said...

"If the club does not exist, I would probably live my own life with my Te Aro friends"

We might see more of you in the library. Ah, suasana yg tak dpt dibayangkan. haha

NJB said...

hmm, ye sukar2. maybe aku mmg patut lebih kerap ke library.

Anonymous said...

njb,

btul tu...we ave a great community in welly, where each individual is unique and great. i love welly n its peeps...

NJB said...

spread the love. XD