Playing Devil's Advocate

I just learnt the meaning of the phrase above during the small trip up north a few days ago. Sita mentioned about it and Kak Adnin explained the meaning of such interesting idiom. I thought, "Say, that's so possibly very me,". Maybe.

"Play devil's advocate; To take a position for the sake of the argument against an idea or plan which usually more favourable, practising more critical discussion in details to question all reasonings,"
-idioms.thefreedictionary.com-

Arguments are suppose to be objected to achieve the betterment of the discussion, not winners. A phrase I often like to remember. Yet, there are times when the imperfection of a human kicks in and the worst in self comes out in the form of a defensive being. Ego might have something to do with it. Mr. Vaillant there should have something to say about it. Heh.

Ego. Ahh, tricky. Every single human possess this interesting element in life, or more specifically the three series of ego, superego and id. I read quite a number of times about this issue, yet I find myself hardly ever near to understand how the unconscious mind works against our reactive actions. Ego is also associated with pride with oneself or self-esteem. I wonder how it works with vanity. The male population, in general, has the tendency of being the ego-oriented creature. Possibly. I doubt its a sexist issue anyway as I believe female has a massive ego issue as well. Yet, probably defined in different terms. Maybe. I'm not that entirely sure of how strong I could have this stand. I browsed through my old posts here in this blog and I find my previous early writings are somewhat more competent or well sounded. Shucks.

"The intention does not justify the means,"

A post I wrote before on how people around us that really screw up their actions; unintentionally hurt people feelings, discharge a number of workers to save the productivity of the company, killing one people to save millions others and many other inevitable circumstances. Whether that do we ask these people why they did that and how many times it would just end up in assumptions of others as rumours corrupting the air we breathe everyday.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
- Maya Angelou, American Poet -

I read this somewhat long time ago and I found this quotation back during the trip in a fortune cookie. Interesting stuff. People usually will only remember how you made them feel. Question is later asked. Assumptions come first which evolve as judgement. Cruel. Yet, who to blame. The victim, guilty or not, is ruled bounded by this human nature of perception. Is there something wrong with it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

assumptions are based largely based on a person's first impression, n yet even if it not right to assume n judge, a bad first impression will largely contribute to a person's assumption and judgement; it's almost inevitable due to human's cautious nature. im not saying that it would be impossible for someone to change their assumption, but a first impression could still affect the way the see the other person. On the issue of ego, all humans, no matter what sex, has issues with ego. the degree depends largely on social issues (by the way they have been brought up, friends, family etc.) and to those who have had their feelings hurt...times heal all wounds....these are just my thots on ur blog entry...

NJB said...

ahahah, i wish i know who u are anonymous.

nway, smart ppl usually use their first impression on someone for the early stage of knowing thy person. for hellos, how do u do, etc. judgement only lies on how these ppl treat you in the primal development. if u want to know what he does for life, hobbies, opinions on world peace, these smarties would throw away their first impression and make some new ones by going to the further stage in this social encounter; what are you doing this holiday, do u play squash, do u think the guy on the news is for real, etc.

in our context here, i won't say first impression will largely contribute to the person's assumptions and judgement as a whole. stages, i would say. usually the 'kecah' ppl (assuming u're msian as well which u understand what it means) often exaggerate how 'kerek' that bitch/dude is. human nature. we live in the third world minded community. touche. i'm not implying i'm a first world thinker. it just such a waste if u "ah kerek ah mamat tu malas la layan die," and he/she might be actually full of wisdom and may actually be your cupid in finding true love XD

wow. shud have written a new post.

Anonymous said...

why did u hev to end it about love...hahaha...:p

NJB said...

i dunno. maybe its a beautiful thing. XD

Anonymous said...

aha...love is indeed a beautiful thing my fren...:p