Lately I've been spending a lot of time with my sister, the youngest of the siblings, Intan. She's in Standard 2 now - she's going to be 8 this April. Spending time means taking her to school and piano lessons (soon swimming classes), buying her school essentials (for this first few weeks anyway), helping her with her homeworks, go to 7-Eleven to buy Vico, etc.
So, one evening, while helping her with her Mathematics homework, and while she's writing something in her notebook, in a particularly different tone of voice (which meant that she was being a bit serious rather than making another silly joke), she told me something about school - that she doesn't like recesses.
Then a little bit of tears ran down her cheeks.
Hu-oh.
She told me that her close friends (or just one friend? I don't listen really well) are now prefects and they have to do their duties during recess period, which means Intan have to spend her recess time alone. So I ask her about her non-prefect classmates, particularly her deskmate - she said they have their own friends (or she just simply doesn't know. I'm probably just making up the reason because I still don't listen really well).
I was put in a position where I really have to be careful what should I tell her. I mean, making new friends wasn't that difficult for me before (I think). So far in my life, I was blessed with convenient situations or contexts, where making new friends wasn't too hard.
Wait.
It was difficult for me in some situations. Oh well, that is another story.
So I thought, "What would I do in those kind of situation?". Or maybe better, "What would a cool dude do in that kind of situation?". How about a girl instead? How do I know. Do guys make new friends easier than girls?
She didn't stop doing her homework, as in, writing stuffs in her notebook - some of the answers were wrong by the way. Maybe she couldn't focus right. She occasionally wiped off her small tears. It's not like she's really in depress about her small issue, based on the small amount of tears. I didn't say much though. It was a pretty dark-ish kind of conversation. You know, the type where it is slow and has a lot of pauses.
Was she looking for a solution from me or just simply expressing her feelings about this stuff? Well, my laptop was far from my reach - I bet I could google at least a list of possible solutions for this matter.
So, on top of my head, I told her, in a different tone of voice of course (I'm guessing it was the 'full of wisdom' kind of voice), that she shouldn't be bothered by it - I mean this recess issue. I continued, "As long we're nice to all the people around us, nice things will happen to us. Sooner or later good friends will come and spend time with you,". Something like that. Of course in the real script I had to use some Malay words. I don't speak English all the time with my sister.
Anyway, it was a pretty general advice. In a way I thought it wasn't useful enough. Was it sufficient? Should I told her just to try and ask her deskmate if she would want to spend the recess together? What if she rejected her?
Sigh.
I then told her about the wrong answers - for the homework I mean. She corrected it. Made a joke. She laughed. And we moved on.
I hope she wouldn't mind I'm writing her problems out in the public here heheh.
So, one evening, while helping her with her Mathematics homework, and while she's writing something in her notebook, in a particularly different tone of voice (which meant that she was being a bit serious rather than making another silly joke), she told me something about school - that she doesn't like recesses.
Then a little bit of tears ran down her cheeks.
Hu-oh.
She told me that her close friends (or just one friend? I don't listen really well) are now prefects and they have to do their duties during recess period, which means Intan have to spend her recess time alone. So I ask her about her non-prefect classmates, particularly her deskmate - she said they have their own friends (or she just simply doesn't know. I'm probably just making up the reason because I still don't listen really well).
I was put in a position where I really have to be careful what should I tell her. I mean, making new friends wasn't that difficult for me before (I think). So far in my life, I was blessed with convenient situations or contexts, where making new friends wasn't too hard.
Wait.
It was difficult for me in some situations. Oh well, that is another story.
So I thought, "What would I do in those kind of situation?". Or maybe better, "What would a cool dude do in that kind of situation?". How about a girl instead? How do I know. Do guys make new friends easier than girls?
She didn't stop doing her homework, as in, writing stuffs in her notebook - some of the answers were wrong by the way. Maybe she couldn't focus right. She occasionally wiped off her small tears. It's not like she's really in depress about her small issue, based on the small amount of tears. I didn't say much though. It was a pretty dark-ish kind of conversation. You know, the type where it is slow and has a lot of pauses.
Was she looking for a solution from me or just simply expressing her feelings about this stuff? Well, my laptop was far from my reach - I bet I could google at least a list of possible solutions for this matter.
So, on top of my head, I told her, in a different tone of voice of course (I'm guessing it was the 'full of wisdom' kind of voice), that she shouldn't be bothered by it - I mean this recess issue. I continued, "As long we're nice to all the people around us, nice things will happen to us. Sooner or later good friends will come and spend time with you,". Something like that. Of course in the real script I had to use some Malay words. I don't speak English all the time with my sister.
Anyway, it was a pretty general advice. In a way I thought it wasn't useful enough. Was it sufficient? Should I told her just to try and ask her deskmate if she would want to spend the recess together? What if she rejected her?
Sigh.
I then told her about the wrong answers - for the homework I mean. She corrected it. Made a joke. She laughed. And we moved on.
I hope she wouldn't mind I'm writing her problems out in the public here heheh.

5 comments:
so cute....
think u sed the right thing! well doneeeee haha
i sure hope so.
u know times like these i wish i kept my misai. bole main2 twirl2 sambil memberi nasihat heheheh.
abang yang baik,hehe..
hmm..smmgnye girl slalunya agak bermaslh klu dlm brkwn nih..biasela hatinye lembut..lelaki pulak..hmm..biarla org kate ape pun buat derk jer..neway from the point of view of a teacher.. yupp..i really hope there's more parents or family members like u..cause if anything happen topupils whether problem with their peers or what ever,,teachers always be the one to be blame..so..being a teacher could be nicer if we have a parents like u..hehehhe
Aww.. Nicely done. It's all part of the growing up process, and it's good that you're there to support her through hard times.
Post a Comment