There’s a number of ways on how I usually start writing an entry, i.e. personal experience, deep observations, retrospection, etc. Recent entries have been mostly of personal matters (well, basically this is my blog so of course it’s personal). Anyway, my most preferred approach is writing an entry off reading some interesting stuffs (my kind of interest of course) from TIME magazines or Reader’s Digests. And today’s entry is of that kind.
Sigh. What a long and unnecessary introduction. In fact, I could have just started it off like this:
There’re a few issues that highlight my interest from one of the recent issue of TIME magazine, i.e. fighting racism in Hong Kong, microfinancing in the US, slaves trade in Africa, Stein’s awesome view on today’s communication, etc. Nevertheless, this entry is aimed to two particular ones that really caught my attention: why genes aren’t destined to us and mm, well, climate change stuffs (gotta be my favourite topic).
Genes.
So, let’s start with genes – it contains the codes for our cells to produce proteins for our body to function – more or less an adequate definition. Darwin said that it takes a series of many generations for the genetic code to change – hence, our great great great great great great great great great great great great great will eventually 100% free from our blood disorders and other diseases.
However, it does not have to be that way anymore. There’s this thing called ‘epigenetic’, which is something that exists in our DNA, that can be, err, altered, I think, if I use the term correctly. Well, basically, the epigenetic thingy can be stimulated so that the following can be done: decrease obesity, reduce risk of short life span, switching off the unwanted diseases, etc. Hence, our children may not have to battle undesirable sickness, obesity and other unwanted stuffs - pretty cool. And owh, by the way, whatever we do, eat or breathe, can affect our future born generations. Both male and female and not necessarily during the pregnancy period – that’s right, even now as you’re reading this.
Come to think of it, pretty soon we can surely add on to our genes with things that we do want, i.e. good health, stronger athletic body, my handsomeness (I shall make it available for public use!), X-ray visions, etc.
Aisey (FCOL for Malaysians, I think. Or is it OMG?), I’m tired. Will continue on to the next issue later. Have a good week!
Sigh. What a long and unnecessary introduction. In fact, I could have just started it off like this:
There’re a few issues that highlight my interest from one of the recent issue of TIME magazine, i.e. fighting racism in Hong Kong, microfinancing in the US, slaves trade in Africa, Stein’s awesome view on today’s communication, etc. Nevertheless, this entry is aimed to two particular ones that really caught my attention: why genes aren’t destined to us and mm, well, climate change stuffs (gotta be my favourite topic).
Genes.
So, let’s start with genes – it contains the codes for our cells to produce proteins for our body to function – more or less an adequate definition. Darwin said that it takes a series of many generations for the genetic code to change – hence, our great great great great great great great great great great great great great will eventually 100% free from our blood disorders and other diseases.
However, it does not have to be that way anymore. There’s this thing called ‘epigenetic’, which is something that exists in our DNA, that can be, err, altered, I think, if I use the term correctly. Well, basically, the epigenetic thingy can be stimulated so that the following can be done: decrease obesity, reduce risk of short life span, switching off the unwanted diseases, etc. Hence, our children may not have to battle undesirable sickness, obesity and other unwanted stuffs - pretty cool. And owh, by the way, whatever we do, eat or breathe, can affect our future born generations. Both male and female and not necessarily during the pregnancy period – that’s right, even now as you’re reading this.
Come to think of it, pretty soon we can surely add on to our genes with things that we do want, i.e. good health, stronger athletic body, my handsomeness (I shall make it available for public use!), X-ray visions, etc.
Aisey (FCOL for Malaysians, I think. Or is it OMG?), I’m tired. Will continue on to the next issue later. Have a good week!

0 comments:
Post a Comment