Guns and Butter

"We can do without butter, but, despite all our love of peace, not without arms. One cannot shoot with butter, but with guns."

Well, that was a speech by one of Hitler's closest associates, Joseph Goebbels, during the rise of the Third Reich. Well, as you can see, I'm trying to make a dramatic start to this entry with a speech quoted by the most famous group of evil known to the world.

I found this theory, or actually it's just a model, in macroeconomics stuffs - guns and butter. To put simply, this model states that a nation chooses between the two: invests in military or invests on production of goods or both at determined ratios. Although I'm not very sure whether this is still commonly applied or perhaps it has evolved into a more complex model for the state of economy today. Nevertheless, I don't want to talk about this economic model in particular - just the concept it represents.

Religions aside, we're put in this world to live. Back then, as human civilization started since the stone age, we wake up, hunt, eat, sleep and the cycle continues - at least that's how they depict it in television. Today, we wake up, earn money, buy food, eat, sleep and plus any other stuffs you'd like to do for fun. Well, the point is, back then, there were no guns, only butter - I think. I'm no historian to confirm this.

I'm just trying to say that to the very basic needs of human civilization, we only need butter. Guns are just the power created by human for human so that they can have butter without having to make them themselves. Today, the more power you have, the more butter you can get. It has reached to the point in time, making butter is not as important than making guns.

Well I actually wanted to talk about money. As in, guns is a metaphor for money as the spending power - if you haven't catch my drift.

So, today, the more spending power you have, the more butter you can get. It has reached to that point in time, producing stuffs is not as important as making money. Kids want to be rich. Heck, we all want to be rich. We like to have the sufficient spending power to do things that we actually want - to be richer. While that happens, less people are actually looking into who makes our butter anymore. As long it's available at any supermarket near you, you'll keep on earning money, to buy more butter - to live. Have you watched Food, Inc? I just think that if smarter people in this world keep going into the money-making stuffs, guess who's the idiot been handling our McDonald's Big Mac.

Ok, I'm tired now. Maybe I'll continue next time. For the mean time, my message is just really simple - we're here on Earth to make butter - not guns. Guns do not benefit the very human civilization - butters do.

But guns keep human in order I give you that - nothing more.

8 comments:

ladysue said...

bestnya bagi ikan makan!

NJB said...

kan? kan? comel je die keja2 mouse. :D

FM said...

FarahMexx likes this post ;)

p/s: Glee so far cambest!! :D TV Show to watch over the summer woohoo!

NJB said...

glee is alrite for me. only like the first episode. not very fond of the later episodes (i tgk up to episode 8 to confirm this sigh). good music tho.

Anonymous said...

ok that fish thingy is cool. i played with it for over 2 mins straight. i found a way to make them go all disorientated, banging into each other. Try making circles with ur mouse at one spot in d middle. i did it, then laughed sorang2. i think the gal nxt to my desk thinks im a bit gile.

;p try it try it

-Liz-A-tou-tou barbie-

NJB said...

these shud make u go insane:

http://www.silvergames.com/game/circle-the-cat/
http://www.silvergames.com/game/multitask/
http://www.silvergames.com/game/worlds-hardest-game/

u've been warned. enjoy.

Ace said...

Guns and butter - that's an interesting analogy.

NJB said...

not too sure why they picked butter. i wud thot tat bread may be more relevant.

germans back then had a thing for butter i guess.