In Search of the Ultimate

I can vaguely recall my very first burger. I was somewhere around 4-5 years old and we, the family, went up to an A&W Restaurant in Petaling Jaya. I had a burger, I think it was beef.

My first crave for burger was inspired from Archie's comics. I thought whatever that was that Jughead fought so hard to get must be really good. Although initially what I asked my parents for was a hamburger. The response was similar when I asked for a roast boar (one of my life long ambition is to enjoy a fine roast boar the way Obelix did), "How about we give you something better?".

And I got an A&W beef burger.

And it was okay.

I knew it won't be as magical as how Jughead enjoyed his hamburgers. I mean, it was just food. And A&W beef burger was not really that extravagant. Not bad, just not that magical.

Ever since then, I question myself, "Is there such thing as a magical burger?"

Well, I didn't actually question myself that (I was 5 remember?). I just thought it could add some flavour to this entry - a pinch of sweet and sour melodramatic salt.

And by magical I didn't mean it to be like it could send me to the stars - well, except metaphorically - you know what I mean.

I always have enjoyed KFC's Zinger Burger and McDonald's Cheeseburger as fine selections among the fast food chains. Burger King's Whoppers, Carl's Jr's (can't remember what I had) or any kind of burgers at Chilli's or TGIF's are among the second tier of my taste buds. I'm quite inconsistent with street burgers. Some are far better than those you can find any mainstream food providers, and some are just plain belong to the longkang next to the burger stall. But none, among those burgers mentioned, had exactly fasten my seat belt in a rocketship, did the countdown and press the big red 'Launch' button to throttle me up among the galaxies.

If I have to pick my current number one, my vote goes to the A&W's Mozza Burger, just like the one I'm having right now.

2 comments:

Ace said...

There's some pretty good burgers from this place called Grilled in Melbourne. Definitely best burgers I've had, worthy of the Archie comics. :)

NJB said...

i'll keep tat in mind the nx time i visit melbourne.