Edamame Delight

Last night I went to a Japanese restaurant for dinner with a group of friends. It was our last dinner together with Azie as she just left Wellington for good just this morning. I don't go to Japanese restaurant that often and all my knowledge about the food from this land of the rising sun only comes from my experience of reading lots (and a whole lot more) of Japanese comics; GTO, Shin Chan and Doraemon, particularly for last night's dinner.

I actually started to have interest with Sushi from reading GTO. Well, they rather exaggerated on how delicious the Sushi can be in that comic and I was kind of bought to it. Even it was illustrated in black and white, I still find it bloody appetizing. Ah, I am a sucker for comics nonetheless. Even Archie's Digest made me asked my mom to buy me a hamburger ten years ago. Owh, and watching Obelix feast himself with monster truck size wild boars did somehow got to me as well. One of my life-to-do list; eat a whole lot of lamb like how they have it, which is actually wild boars, in the Gaulish village. Yum!

Anyway, last night I had my first experience of Edamame delight. I read about this in Shin Chan; eating Edamame with a nice cold drink, maybe juice or a nice soda. It will make you feel like you are standing on top of Mount Fuji with fireworks sparkling on the clear skies, as illustrated in the comic exaggeratively. How I really felt? Well, I am actually easily influenced by comic. Regardless, I have to say it was quite nice. Not Mount Fuji delight though. Still, quite nice. Enjoying it with a set of Japanese appetizers; Sushi, Tempura, Sashimi, etc, I then ordered Tempura Set on Rice as the main dish for the night and top it off with Doraemon inspired Doriyaki with Green Tea ice cream as desserts. Nice. Most of the meal I shared them with Joe. Biase la orang bujang - miskin. Nonetheless, it was a pleasant night. It's been a while since I last really enjoy dining out. Coffee at Espressoholic later and wrapped up with All Blacks smashing, yet not that surprising, victory against Italy 76-14.

Of my 3 years here in Wellington, people come and go and it was another difficult goodbye for us as a group of just sent off a dear friend to the airport this morning. Azie just left us for good. It's about time I think as she has been with us for many years now. Life goes on. We are travellers visiting this country to gain something for ourselves and come back to our home land as future intellectuals. Azie has been one of the most prominent character in our Malaysian group in Wellington. Very well known for her energetic sportswomanship, a graceful dancer and her ever cheerful presence which is always wonderfully infectious. Having to know her since my first year here in this city, she has grown to be one of my most respected seniors around and a cherished friend for life. Wish you an amazing future ahead. I look forward to hang out with you again in Hartamas later hopefully in not a too distant future. I'm sure someone can drive you there nanti. XD

TRIBUTE TO AZIE


Minah Rempit


Winter Trip 2007

Edamame is a boiled green immature soybeans commonly found in China and Japan. Enjoy it with soda or green tea. Heavenly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

u shud try natto...

NJB said...

i wanna asked what's a natto, but google is just too convenient nowadays. XD.

it looked rather sticky icky kind of thingy. yet, the eager appetite seems curious for such exotic food. altho i dont think it was in the menu. kot.

sedap ke pon?

Anonymous said...

its basically kacang yg telah diperam sehingga ia berbuih dn melekit...

its da japanese version (for malays) of durian (for westerners)...

hayatilah....its a delicacy in japanese...they love it...honestly i hate it...but interesting to try, trust me - bongo