Good Food

Good Food. I would like to think that I was raised in a beautiful environment of a family who loves food - good food especially. Well, of course! Who doesn't? Everyone loves good food. It's a fact in this current human civilization we live in. Nonetheless, everyone treats their appreciation towards food differently, and now, I want tell you a little story about mine.

I was born, on the morning of the 9th of June 1985, with a weight of 3.9 kilos, I think, roughly at least. It was slightly above normal par. The doctor insists my parents to put me on a diet - since I was born! Funny, but I guess all babies has their each of their own amusing histories. Mine? I was fat since I was born. Heh.

The diet worked I guess. From fatty I turned into skinny for the rest of my life. When I was about 10, our family had this one maid, specially imported from Indonesia heheh, who we loved to call as 'bibik' - pretty common to 'our' Malaysian culture, I think, to call their maid with such nickname. She was the one who just really love to stuff me with food, a really lot of food. Everyday, coming back from school around afternoon, she would prepare a big lunch for me - a proportion that fits to feed a whole village! Surprisingly, she would still dare to ask whether I have had enough. Every single time after I finished eating my lunch, "Cuukuuupp Jibbb?", she asked with her rather scary Indonesian accent. More surprisingly, I can still have that unusual suspicion, that feeling of unsure whether I actually had enough. "Aku kenyang ke tak ek?", I often asked myself, and I would check the mystery by poking my stomach with my index finger. "Dah keras yeah!". Thus, full it is. Yet, normally, kids around me would have become a big fatty in no time with that kind of everyday eating programme. Apparently, my body metabolism defies that of a nature, but in return, I tend to be tembam instead. Cibey.

Anyway, I guess the most important significant part in my memory, of what triggers this massive love for good food of mine, relates a lot with my sister, the eldest one. Being the first child of the family, she was the scientist of many things. Experimenting life with literatures, romance, entertainment videos and music, and for this topic of entry - cooking. Have you ever experience growing up with a sister, or a brother perhaps, from the start of her learning how to switch on the oven, till she creates the masterpiece of a fettucini carbonara, just the way you love it? From tasting a brownie; which was suppose to be a chocolate sponge cake, until the char kuey teow; which apparently was actually planned to be the ever amazing spaghetti bolognese. Every experience I had was awesome. There was no such thing as bad food. It just that sometimes it doesn't hit the right part on your tongue, that's all. I ate it all. Me and my brother were the DBKL of the family. We ate anything that was laid down on the table. Eat first, ask question later - although most of the time we were never curious of what we just ate anyway. Good times.

My family loves to dine out - in a special manner. Where we eat, the service, the recognition of the place, the ambience, everything counts. Good food can worth all the money in the world. As far as we went, I can name a few outstandingly recognized restaurants in Kuala Lumpur, the best dessert place you can find around Lembah Kelang and the best tomyam around that probably suits a local Siamese taste bud. Eheh.

Anyway, this is only how far I would wish to write for today. Watching Yakitate too much made me write this. I miss my sister's desserts. I wonder if she has those legendary blizzard hands?

9 comments:

FM said...

wats the normal weight for a baby ye? do u know? cuz i weigh slightly less than urs.

haha. i think i pon gemok. and when i grow older, i put on weight. more weight.

sheesh. mane aci!

NJB said...

normal weight for a newly born is about 3.4 kilos, if i remember correctly.

and no ko tak gemuk le cik mex oi. as long u can hide urself completely behind nuzu/nad (assuming korang tak bace nih. minta maap daun keladi bulan ramadan mari kite berbudi), u are not gemuk. :)

which reminds me of a joke ur brother did; mak mek mok heheheheh

FM said...

3.4?? haha. damn mmg gemok ar camni :p

btw.. mane leh measure gemok camtu. kene measure BMI lah. and my weight skrg x match ngan my height. huhu.

*pfft* adam2... ngaja org jek die tu.

NJB said...

what's important is that beauty that lies within.

:D

Anonymous said...

'what's important is that beauty that lies within'...is it true?i mean, i know it's true for some people,but i wonder how reliable is it generally...

Anonymous said...

means dat kite pon baby yg gomok la.. no wonder la gomok ja sampai skunk.. huhu.. mekk kite senasib.. nganganga.... nnt nak try la dok blakang nuzu.. tgk ble x hide completely.. :D

NJB said...

well mr anony, beauty that lies within is important. it is, i would say, a general fact. like vegetable is important. or eating ur vitamins. or any other metafor u might prefer.

yet, not everyone eats vitamins, or have vegetables in a healthy regular basis. u know its good, and possibly true, but somehow u somewhat don't wanna have it sometimes. maybe because there are other things that u put more values on them instead of those things. priority i guess.

maybe i shud use another better metafor. hope u get what i meant.

and ila, ko tak gemuk. and that goes to cik mexx gak. come on. food is good. makan2.

Anonymous said...

i got it now, thanks. but i guess in this context, as u said, maybe another metafor would be more suitable...but what would it be?hmm..doesn't matter actually. 10Q

NJB said...

much obliged :D