Read, Write and Read Again

Educational readings. Do people actually read thoroughly? Well, perhaps that I often jot down some academical entries that I know that most of you won't actually finish or even start reading them. Sustainable issues, teleological cosmos, cultural variation management, politics, Freud's theory for the conscious brain, personality development, sports, etc. I, which may believe, like to read. Well, a certain range of literature products at least. Comics, Reader's Digest, Time Magazine, Remaja (Unfortunately yes), blogs, Yahoo articles, certain columns in the newspaper. Not novels though. I do wish I can make myself to like reading those super thick with super small writings and melodramatic graphic on cover books. I do, however, realize it is an excellent form of literature to read and yet, I still find myself drifting far away from it, sadly. Either way, reading is always good for you. Despite the fact that I can only absorb a small amount whenever I read anything, that small percentage of knowledge gained gives my everyday life a bit of value for me to take into my good night sleep.

Anyway, there are many ways to attract our attention into literature. Graphics is one of the most popular method where people decorate their websites nicely for us to browse through, modern and hip designed magazines, or simply just a hot model on cover of FHM or even Computer Geeks magazines today. I did mention before in a past entry that it would be nice for me to put on more photos in this blog thus it will become more attractive and you suckers would love to see more photos than spending some time reading each small and boring alphabets on a line. Anyway, putting that aside, there's another interesting method to draw reader's attention that I would like to share with you guys.

The Power of 10
Ideas by James Poniewozik for TIME Magazine

We are kind of obsessed with lists as such; Top 10 Games of the Year, Top 10 Sexy Models in Tibet, Top 10 Things to Do in the Elevator, Top 10 of Top 10 Lists, etc. Indisputably, it is fun for both listmakers and list readers as well. How come this simple yet magical concept of literature amazes us so much? Here's a few ideas by James that I think rather interesting;

1. God made us do it. Yes, many religions use this concept of listing stuffs. The Ten Commandments, The Five Precepts in Buddhism, The Five Pillars of Islam, etc. Well, it's easier to read and remember that's for sure. Although I think it is also easier for me to remember the names of the 25 Prophets of Islam through a Nasyid song by Raihan. Well, that's another story anyway.

2. Words suck! Numbers rule! At least, that's the operating principle of much media today. Newspapers need to be like TV. TV needs to be like YouTube. It's the era of PowerPoint. It is more fun to watch Top 10 NBA Plays on YouTube than reading the result report on newspaper ain't it? Duh~

3. They are web-friendly. Lists are inherently bloggy. They're bite-size, they're opinionated, and guaranteed to incite a conversation, which most probably into a kind of argument. Owh well, it is interesting nonetheless.

4. Branding! And it is not just in the sense of selling stuffs. It makes them definitive and catchy - a number and a catchphrase do wonders. FHM 100 Sexiest Women of the Year. Awesome.

5. Because the other guy is a moron. List is a way to state authority, and a way to challenge one as well. Do people really enjoy reading a list they totally agree with? No! Good lists engage readers, enrage them and flatter their ability to think of better examples. A list isn't truly right unless it's a little bit wrong. Fascinating.

6. We crave justice. In much of our world today, everyone is special and every contribution is valuable and every child gets a trophy for playing. However, in a list, there are values. Things are good enough or they are not, and that someone has made a damned decision about it. (Although I am rather confused with this. Oh well, James said so)

7. This is a hype society; we're constantly focusing on the next thing, the new thing. The year-end list is our single chance to pause, to see what held up over time, and to note, by omission, what we got overexcited about. Remember Evan Almighty? Well, neither do the Top 10 movie lists.

8. Because the universe is random and senseless. The alternative to sum up a year in any field with a big list is weaving its elements into some grand what-it-all-means theory. But sometimes life is just one damn thing after another. And so are lists: they impose order without making false connections. On a Top 10 list, apples and oranges live together in juicy harmony.

9. Because life is short. In the end, a list is about one thing: the person who wrote it. Making a list is like making a mix CD for a crush; you do it in the hope that if someone sees what you believe matters and is great in the world, he will see to your core and know who you are. Lists are a means of asserting identity, saying "I was here". Especially at the end of the year, when we reminisce about time past and think about how much time we have left. While we are still around, we want to be known and we want to be heard.

10. Finally, because if you put numbers on it, people will read anything, however trite, trivial and insipid, from beginning to end.

Coming up next in NJB, Top 10 Things to do in the Toilet.

0 comments: